What is a Godly Man? (10/23)
10. A man of humility. “He is like the sun in the zenith, which when it is at the highest, shows lowest,” he writes. “St. Augustine calls humility the mother of the grace.” But Watson also warns of the existence of a false humility: “A man may be humbled and not humble. A sinner may be humbled by affliction. His condition is low but not his disposition. A godly man is not only humbled but humble....
Day Thirteen: “You Set Me Free” -...
What is a Godly Man? (9/23)
9. A man who has the Spirit of God residing in him. “I conceive that the Spirit is in the godly, in whom he flows in measure,” Watson writes. “They have his presence and receive his sacred influences. When the sun comes into a room, it is not the body of the sun that is there but the beams that sparkle from it. Indeed, some divines have through that the godly have more than the influx of the...
What is a Godly Man? (8/23)
8. A man who loves the Word of God. Watson said a godly man loves: the counseling part of the Word, as it is a directory and rule of life, he loves the threatening part of the Word and the consolatory part of the Word—the promises.
Day Eleven: “Sympathy” - The Goo Goo...
What is a Godly Man? (7/21)
7. A man who is an evangelical weeper. What is meant by ‘evangelical weeping?’ Watson says a man who weeps in an evangelical way sheds tears over indwelling sin, over clinging corruption, over the notion that he is not more holy, over God’s amazing love for him, because, in some sense, the sins he commits are worse than the sins of others. Watson calls it “sorrow of the soul.”
What is a Godly Man? (6/21)
6. A man who prizes Christ. “Put a glass under a still (water container) and it receives water out of the still, drop by drop. So those who are united to Christ have the dews and drops of his grace distilling on them. Well, then, may Christ be admired by all those who believe.”
Day Ten: “Kingdom Come” - Coldplay ...
What is a Godly Man? (5/21)
5. A man who serves God, not men. Here, a servant can be used as a synonym for “fear.”“A godly man leaves the service of sin and betakes himself to the service of God.”
God ordinarily guides his children by alerting them of all the crucial factors...– John Piper
What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle. Your boundaries are your...– Rumi
What is a Godly Man? (4/21)
4. A man careful about the worship of God. “A godly man dare not vary from the pattern God has shown him in Scripture.”
Day Nine: “The Adventure” - Angels...
Characteristics of a Woman That Fears God.
1. Faith in God that goes beyond and sees beyond the present bitter experiences with God. 2. Freedom from security and the comforts of home/family 3. Courage to venture into the unknown and strange. 4. Radical commitment in relationships with fellow believers.
What is a Godly Man? (3/21)
3. A man like God. “Holiness is a man’s glory…The goodness of a Christian lies in his holiness, as the goodness of air lies in its clarity, the worth of gold in its purity.”
Day Eight: “I Hope You Dance” - Lee...
What is a Godly Man? (2/21)
2. A man fired with love. “A godly man loves God, though he is reduced to straits.”
What is a Godly Man? (1/21)
1. A man moved by faith. His trust in God is a living principle. “He who believes that God is his God, and that all providences work for his good, patiently yields himself to the will of God.”
Day Seven: “All The Small Things” -...
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be...– Marcus Aurelius
Day Six: “Polaris” - Jimmy Eat World ...
Don’t surrender your loneliness so quickly. Let it cut more deep. ...– Hafiz
And we go on and on, neither sleeping nor awake, towards the meeting, unaware...– Gabriela Mistral - “Anniversary”